Sunday, February 22, 2009

Malcolm X Post 2

So far I'm up to Chapter 10 in The Autobiography of Malcolm X and I have changed my opinion about Malcolm multiple times already but have also seen many connections to my life and the people around me. 

First off, I find it very important how Malcolm X starts off in his young adult years around and suing drugs heavily. He comments a lot about how he used marijuana or "reefers", cocaine, and drank heavily. After he becomes addicted he starts selling them and risks a lot doing so as he was always being followed or watched by the cops. During his use he becomes more and more crazed by often threatening people and his own life. Especially when he scares he robbery partners by playing Russian roulette with himself to show his power and lack of fear. He also forces a merchant marine at gunpoint to give him the gun he is pointing at him. I do believe that it is important that he realizes his insanity later on as he describes "Looking back, I think I really was at least slightly out of my mind. I viewed narcotics as most people regard food" (pg 41) He also decides to give up drugs and smoking while in jail that lasts his lifetime. 

I think it is interesting how Malcolm thinks little of racial slurs in his young years even though they surround him. While reading these past couple days I connected with this by hearing about the possibly racial cartoon drew in the New York Times about a chip representing Barrack Obama. 

I find it funny in a way how Malcolm is arrested by fixing a stolen watch. After all that he has been through with drugs, prostitution, and robbery he gets caught by being and idiot. This is exactly just how the famous gangster Al Capone got caught with only tax fraud instead of murder, drug, and money laundering charges. Although this turns out to be come a good point in Malcolm's life I wonder if it leads to more "silly" mistakes by Malcolm throughout his life.

1 comment:

VMatt said...

Hi Mike, I like learning about what you pick up on in the reading, and I think your connection to the recent Post cartoon was spot-on. Now I need you to incorporate more of your own opinions, experiences, etc. here.