Monday, March 2, 2009

Malcolm X Post 4

As I read each chapter of the Autobiography of Malcolm X I would follow along with the movie with Malcolm being played by Denzel Washington. I think watching this movie in pace with my reading helped me to visualize better Malcolm's surroundings and settings. Although it did skip over some key events, overall it allowed me a better picture into the era. Also, it portrayed the characters differently than I usually first thought about them when I was reading. While I was watching parts of this film and after the trip to Harlem (and Neal mentioning it) the Denzel Washington movie American Gangster. Although the time frame in which the movie took place in Harlem was about 10 years after Malcolm's death, I feel that Malcolm could have made a difference in the drug business and Harlem's community. I also just find it ironic that Denzel played someone who built up Harlem but then plays someone who destroys Harlem. I can relate to this because my Grandfather would tell me stories about how on his way to work he would be approached to buy drugs and even guns. He used (and still does) work in the Bronx and would go through Harlem sometimes to get there and he is glad and has watched its renovation throughout the years.

No comments: