Thursday, March 5, 2009

Malcolm X Post 5

My experience on the Harlem field trip was a great one. Everywhere we went I learned about a new events or ideas. Starting with the bus tour of Harlem with Neal, i was intrigued with everything he said. I never realized that Harlem had two sections and that it was rapidly changing for the better (this article explains how) and that even Bill Clinton has an apartment there. His life story and thoughts on education and religion brought new ideas into me I had never thought about before. I also found the early history of Harlem to be ironic in the fact that it was originally built for the middle/upper class but turned out that the lower classes moved there. Sylvia's restaurant brought a new type of food I had for the most part never had before. The best part of the trip I thought was the Apollo Theater where Hausch sang to the Lion King and we all got to walk on the stage. When Billy sang classic African-American music from the 40s-70s and we joined in with him it brought out a sense of their family-like culture. I am holding out hope that our singing will be broadcasted by the BBC as there was a journalist there (not really tho). Finally, visiting the Mosque and listening to the Brother changed my attitude of thinking that Muslims are very uptight and strict but he proved otherwise with his stories. I was disappointed that we did not have enough time to ask questions but I'm sure I'll get over it quickly. Overall I thought the trip was "good money".

1 comment:

john said...

I also didn't know that Bill Clinton had an apartment in Harlem. I thought it was interesting that the people of Harlem accept him and do not think that he is just some fake politician. I enjoyed Billy's energy and I like how he treated us no different than he would a person from Harlem. The Brother at the Mosque changed my view on Muslims. When I used to hear the term 'Muslim' I would think of Arabs praying, but now I realize that there are members of every race that are Muslim.